More of the same…Celtics fight, but lose another close one-this time to DJ Augustin and the Chicago Bulls at TD Garden. The Celts managed to make Augustin look like DRose, as the Bulls’ PG went off for a career-high 33 points. Bulls win 107-102.
Two late Jeff Green three had the C’s tied at 96 with Chicago with about two & half minutes left, but Augustin’s three and then steal locked it up for Chicago. Speaking of threes, the Celts shot a hell of a lot of them tonight-29 to be exact. They connected on 10 of them, Jeff Green hitting 4 of his 8. This was a chippy game to say the least. And it didn’t help that referee Sean Corbin and his crew were already whistle happy. There were 47 free-throw attempts for the two teams, Chicago taking 31 of them. Kris Humphries got into it with both Boozer and Noah and I have to say I loved it. Hump has been such a nice addition to this Celtics squad. He’s brought rebounding, shot blocking and that toughness this year. If the money is right, I’d love to see Ainge resign him this summer.
Boston is now headed to Chicago for the finale of the home and home series. Tip-off tomorrow is at 8pm EST. The Celts are now 23-50, one game in the loss column behind Utah (who lost to OKC tonight) for 4th in Tankathon’s draft lottery odds/standings. Boston has now lost 4 straight and 9 of their last 10.
- Other than his 6 turnovers, Rondo had a solid stat line: 17 pts, 11 asts, 4 rebounds & 2 stls.
- Great game from Humphries. Kris had 14 points on an efficient 4 of 5 shooting and grabbed 8 boards. He also went 6 of 8 from the line.
- Celts did a good job on the glass, out rebounding Chicago 39-31 and 12-2 on the offensive glass
- Sully had yet another double-double, putting up numbers of 16 & 10.
- Avery Bradley went 3 of 12 tonight and had 8 points in 33+ minutes
- Not a ridiculous amount of turnovers, but at 15, the Celts were quite sloppy (again) tonight
- Free-throws…been a problem all year. 12 of 16 doesn’t jump out at you, but when these games matter again, 4 FT’s will be difference between a win or a loss
The Grid: (quick stats)
- Celts were out scored in the paint 40-34