Quantcast
Red's Army

Your Morning Dump… Where Ryan Gomes is coming back to Boston (for a second)

Chuck - Red's Army January 7, 2014 Brandon Bass, Celtics News, Ryan Gomes, Trades 7 Comments

rookie_gomes_800600

Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here… highlighting the big storyline. Because there’s nothing quite as satisfying as a good morning dump.

The deal is expected to be finalized Tuesday morning. It became a bit more complicated, with Oklahoma City becoming involved in the swap. The up-to-date details, according to a league source:

Lee will head to Memphis, and Grizzlies guard Jerryd Bayless, a player Boston has coveted, will head to the Celtics. (Bayless arrived at the team’s hotel in Denver Monday night.) To help balance out the deal, Oklahoma City forward Ryan Gomes will return to the Celtics, who are then expected to waive him in an effort to create more financial flexibility. The Celtics will also send a 2016 second-round pick to the Thunder, who are moving Gomes to clear money off their books.

Boston Globe

Since the Courtney Lee and Jerryd Bayless deal works 1 for 1, I’m sure why this became a threesome. Couldn’t the Ryan Gomes for a 2nd round pick be a separate trade?

Regardless, the Celtics are essentially moving the 2nd round pick for $800K in cap space.

I loved Gomes’ game during his two years in Boston (10 ppg, 5.3 rpg). He had a couple of decent seasons in Minnesota, but hasn’t done much the past three years.

Trader Danny might just be warming up. CSNNE’s Sherrod Blakely thinks Brandon Bass is next to go:

“When you look at the way this roster is put together, Brandon Bass seems the most logical guy to be on his way out,” Blakely said. “It has nothing to with performance, and everything to do with the fact that he’s a guy that can get a talented player in return. Like a guy like Omer Asik in Houston. Even though Houston has put off talks of trading him, I think those talks will rekindle once we get closer to the deadline. You also have to look at a guy like Gerald Wallace, and another guy Kris Humphries who is starting to up his stock as well.”

ESPN’s Chris Forsberg examines the Celtics salary situation for next season. Boston has $44 million committed to its roster with the cap standing at $58 million. Not enough cash to straight up sign a free-agent to max money, but we’re getting there.

The Cavs ended up shipping Andrew Bynum and his non-guaranteed money to the Bulls for Luol Deng and 3 future 1st round picks.

The rest of the links:

Herald – Sullinger manages injury | ESPN Boston – Tank Rank | Power Rankings | Slumping Celtics moving forward

Like this Article? Share it!

  • Jesse Dampolo

    They’re probably doing this so that nobody has to waste a trade exception.

  • Chuck Da buck

    Ryan Gomes is like a small Jared sullinger they both play the exact same way I’m surprised a player as fundamentally sound as Gomes didnt ge playing time but he’s a power forward stuck in a sf body add three inches and twenty pounds and he probably woulda been pretty good. He’s just to slow to cover sf. He also reminds me of Jared Dudley I believe Gomes was just as good as him but didnt have the same chances to play maybe he don practice as hard but he coul have been as good.

  • Robert Hodgman

    The Cavs got an All-Star for Andrew Bynum???? Probably only a one year rental, but wow!

  • bill_nair

    I should break out my Ricky Davis jersey and reminisce on the good ol’ days. I actually wouldn’t mind him being the 3rd SF on the roster. I’m sure he can give us more offensively than GW at this point.

    This is a very good deal for the Bulls. They also got the rights to swap next year with CLE (lotto protected), SAC first sometime in the next 3 years (top 10 protected until 2017) and 2 second rounders of POR. Id safely bet SAC isnt the worst 10 teams in the league over the next 4 years (considering the moves they’ve made this season.) Chicago could wind up with an extra lotto pick too.

  • Curt Hays

    Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the article.
    Let me know if I shouldn’t be posting this here. Thanks.

    Does anyone know where I can find a Celtics banner like this but with different text?
    http://www.woot.com/offers/boston-celtics-16-x-32-sign

    • bill_nair

      Wish I could help you on your search but that’s a sick sign!

  • RedsLoveChild

    This is easily the biggest “stain” the NBA deals with.

    In no other sport do you see 90% of all trades/transactions being carried out strictly due to financial flexibility/salary cap considerations…while the remaining 10% are actually designed to improve the performance on the court.