As today’s game at Madison Square Garden started, it was obvious the Celtics had not forgotten about being eliminated from last year’s playoffs by the Knicks. The C’s came out of the gate like a bat out of hell. After a barrage on offense and some intense play on defense, Boston was up 34-11 after 1 quarter. The Celtics have now scored a total of 73 points in their last two 1st quarters.
The 2nd quarter was more of the same, despite the referees doing all they could to get the Knicks back in it. New York attempted 14 free-throws in the quarter, and the C’s were whistled for 11 fouls total. But despite NY getting the crowd back in it, barely, Boston continued to put the pedal to the metal. Behind 14 first half points from Jeff Green and 55% shooting from the field, Boston was up big, 58-31 at the half. New York shot an abysmal 25% in the first half, and as someone on Twitter noted, it appeared JR Smith had the whole team out late last night.
There’s really no need for me to break down quarters 3 and 4-it was never even close. The Knicks were simply going through the motions and the Celtics continued to pour it on. A very satisfying Sunday afternoon for Celtics fans as Boston absolutely destroys the Knicks in front of their home crowd, 114-73.
Boston is now off until Tuesday when they face the Nets in Brooklyn. Tip-off is at 7:30pm EST.
- Jordan Crawford drilled a career-high 6 threes and finished with 23 points. When asked by CSNNE’s Abby Chin what he “was seeing out there”, Crawford replied “the basket, the basket.” Indeed.
- Very efficient game from Sully as he schooled Bargnani with 21 points on 9 of 13 shooting
- Avery Bradley had his first career double-double with 13 pts & 10 boards & Brandon Bass put together another solid game with 16 points, 8 rebs & 3 steals
The Gross: N/A
The Grid: (quick stats)
- Celtics notched a season-high 14 three pointers
- Celtics had 9 steals and out rebounded New York 46-26