The Celtics had no trouble finding their offense tonight. Boston opened-up the game on a 19-2 run and were firing on all cylinders. Three-pointers, alley-oops, you name it. The C’s defense also played well, holding the Cavs to a dismal 10 pts in the quarter as Cleveland shoots 21% (4 of 19). Avery Bradley, Brandon Bass & Jeff Green all had it going early and Jordan Crawford had 3 asts, 4 rebs & 4 pts in his first 12 minutes on the floor. Celtics were up big, 28-10 after 1Q.
Kyrie Irving helped the Cavaliers to stop the bleeding a bit in the 2nd quarter. Boston continued to roll for the most part, but Irving had 11 points in the quarter and the Cavs shot a much more respectable 11 of 26 from the field. Helped by the C’s missing 6 free throws, the Cavs actually won the quarter 29-27. Jeff Green’s 15 points were key in Boston going into the half up 55-39.
The 3rd was more of the same. Just nothing offensively from the Cavs, and more good shooting from the C’s. Boston continued to do pretty much whatever they wanted, and went into the 4th quarter up 21, 79-58. The Cavaliers looked like perhaps they were still digesting yesterday’s Thanksgiving dinner. Through 3 quarters, the C’s had turned the ball over 13 times and missed 10 free-throws, yet the Cavs could not take advantage. Mostly due to the fact that no one other than Irving could do jack squat. Guys not named Kyrie were 16 of 51 from the floor through 3Q.
The Celtics never trailed in this game and cruised through the 4th quarter. Jordan Crawford put up a triple-double, the crowd got Gino (and I’m still not sure how I feel about that) and the Celtics never looked back. Final score at the Garden tonight: BOS 103 CLE 86. The Celtics will now fly to Milwaukee to face the Bucks, who have lost 11 straight. Tip-off tomorrow is at 9pm EST.
- Jeff Green had a season-high 31 points and once again very aggressive. I’m liking the consistency we’ve seen from him lately and would love to see it continue. Avery Bradley also had a great offensive night, and was instrumental in Boston getting out to a fast start. Bradley had 8 points in the first quarter and finished with 21.
- Jordan Crawford dropped a triple-double, the 3rd of his career, with 11 pts, 11 rebs & 10 asts. It’s become pretty clear that when he gets involved, the C’s play well.
- Check out the combined numbers from Brandon Bass & Jared Sullinger: 24 points, 5 of 6 from three, 12 rebs, 7 asts & 3 blks. Not too shabby.
- The Celtics turned the ball over 17 times and missed 10 free-throws
The Grid: (quick stats)
- Cavs shot just 4 of 18 from downtown
- Irving & Waiters had 38 of Cleveland’s 86 points