Celtics get pounded on the boards (54-40) and shoot 3 of 26 from long range to fall to the Timberwolves tonight 104-89 at the Bell Centre in Montreal. Boston was out scored in every quarter and the TWolves got to the free-throw line at will where they scored 25% of their points. Kevin Love notched 22 points to lead all scorers and Minnesota’s new acquisition Kevin Martin chipped in with 21.
The Timberwolves led by four, 31-27 after the first quarter, and the C’s were definitely in this game. Gerald Wallace came out of the gates like a bat out of hell and put in 10 points on 4 of 5 shooting. Boston would *clang* *clunk* *boing* shoot their way out of this game for the next three periods. I’m not quite sure who’s idea this “let’s have Sully shoot three-pointers” strategy is, but his 0 of 3 shooting from downtown should be a sign maybe he should stay in the paint. The C’s went an awful 3 of 26 overall from long range with Marshon Brooks also putting up an 0′fer by going 0 of 6.
Boston was in striking distance at the half, down 57-51 to Minny, but after an ugly three minute stretch halfway through the 3rd Q where neither team could hit a field goal, Minnesota started to pull away. They led by 9 after 3Q, 82-71 and blew things open in the 4th, leading by as much as 22 at one point. Celtics are now 1-6 on the preseason, and wrap-up their schedule on Wednesday at home vs Brooklyn. Tip-off is set for 7pm. Gerald Wallace had some interesting comments, using words like “lackadaisical”, after tonight’s game. Head over to ESPN Boston for that story.
- Gerald Wallace provided early energy for Boston and finished with 16 points, 2 rebs, 3 asts & 2 steals.
- Vitor Faverani only played 15 minutes, but they were efficient minutes as he put in 8 points and grabbed 3 boards in that span.
- Despite shooting 3 of 10 from the field, Jeff Green squeaks into this section. He got to the free-throw line, was aggressive and had 12 points, 3 rebs, 2 asts, 2 stls & 2 blocks. But we all know we’re going to need more offensively.
- As mentioned earlier, Sully shot 0 of 3 from long range and finished the night with 4 points in about 18 mins. of play.
- Marshon Brooks was ice cold tonight, shooting 0 of 6 from three and 4 of 14 overall.
- Celtics shot 33 of 86 from the field.
The Grid: (quick stats)
- Boston led once, when they were up 7-6 in the early minutes of the game
- Celtics actually outscored Minnesota in the paint, 50-38