Here’s a whopper of a trade rumor, courtesy of New Orleans Pelicans blogger Michael McNamara:
Just heard strange rumor from EC source: Celtics talking about possibility of Pierce and Bradley for Eric Gordon.
Pierce’s contract is only partially guaranteed. Best case scenario: Pelicans can move Pierce for something. Worst case: Buy him out for Five million and have even more cap space this summer plus the young perimeter defender they crave in Bradley. Interesting
Apparently Celtics discussing a handful of scenarios regarding Pierce. Would rather get something as opposed to buying him out
To be clear, if somehow this deal did go down, Pierce would never play for the Pelicans. Would be moved or bought out
About 90% of Celtics fans are disgusted with this idea even being discussed. Cant say I blame them. Pelicans fans about 80% in favor.
My initial reaction to this rumor is… NO.
Eric Gordon may be a young (24), high-scoring (17 ppg) guard, but his injury history is frightening.
Check out this injury outline via Bourbon Street Shots:
2009-10 Season (62 out of 82 games)
- November 2009 (8 games) – Strained groin
- December 2009 (1 game) – Precautionary (hamstring tightness)
- January 2010 (3 games) – Sprained left big toe
- March 2010 (5 games) – Groin injury
- April 2010 (3 games) – Viral infection(final 3 games of the season; Clippers tanking?)
2010-11 Season (56 out of 82 games)
- November 2010 (2 games) – Bruised left shoulder
- January 2011 (18 games) – Right wrist bone chip fracture(which he played through for 17 minutes after first suffering the injury)
- March 2011(6 games) – Re-injury to right wrist
2011-12 Season (9 out of 66 games)
- December 2011 (57 games) – Right knee injury
2012-13 Season (18 out of 53 games)
And let’s not forget Gordon’s in-game shouting match with head coach Monty Williams, who happens to be a close friend of Doc Rivers.
Gordon isn’t cheap. He has 3 years and $45 million remaining on his contract.
This is a tough call because Gordon would be fuel-injection for the Celtics offense. Not only can he shoot with range, but he has the ability to get to the rim and draw fouls.
I’m prepared for the Celtics to waive Pierce and get nothing in return. It’s Bradley’s inclusion in this deal that has me torn.
And would Kevin Garnett return if this deal were made?
So many things to consider…