The annual “most popular jersey” report by the NBA is out. Once again, Rajon Rondo and Paul Pierce are the only two Celtics representing the team on the list. Here’s the top 15, sent out by the NBA PR department.
1. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
2. LeBron James, Miami Heat
3. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
4. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers
5. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
6. Deron Williams, Brooklyn Nets
7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
8. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics
9. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers
10. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers
11. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
12. Dwight Howard, Los Angeles Lakers
13. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
14. Amar’e Stoudemire, New York Knicks
15. Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics
Rondo dropped to 8th from 6th last year. He was overtaken by Deron Williams (11th last year) and Dwyane Wade (7th). Pierce drops one spot to 15th. Kyrie Irving made it on the list for the first time.
The Celtics are one of six teams with representatives in the top 10, and they are the sixth most popular as far as team merchandise purchased.
Here’s the caveat:
The rankings are based on combined sales at the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue and NBAStore.com from November 2012 to present.
So this could help explain why Carmelo Anthony overtook LeBron James for most popular jersey, and why Deron Williams went from 11th to 6th. The store is in New York, where DWill is leading the Nets to the playoffs and where Melo is about to win the scoring title. This doesn’t take into account all the other stores at which you can buy a jersey, so the numbers are always a little skewed.