It looked like maybe the Celtics would somewhat salvage this road trip tonight when they started the game on a 12-2 run. Unfortunately, it was not to be. An undermanned and visibly frustrated C’s team was no match for the Grizzlies who win 110-106. Memphis dominated this game on all levels tonight: rebounding, scoring in the paint, second-chance points, you get the picture. Boston goes 0-3 on their last major road trip of the season. This was basically a rerun of last night’s game-just substitute Brandan Wright’s name with Jarred Bayless’. Bayless torched Jason Terry (and everyone else) for 30 points. Boston’s one lone bright spot was Paul Pierce who put on a ridiculous display of drives, jumpers and treys. But it didn’t matter. No one else could get any type of significant game going for Boston on offense, and Boston could not stop Memphis on defense. KG was sorely missed on all levels as the Grizz tallied 48 points in the paint. Give C’s bench some credit-they cut the lead to 2 with 0:18 left and showed the most fight we saw throughout much of tonight’s loss. Celtics now have two days off before meeting up with the suddenly hot Knicks at TD Garden on Tuesday night. Boston must find a way to win on the road though, as 6 of their final 13 games are away from Beantown. We’ll also be anxiously awaiting the results of KG’s MRI on Monday…
- Paul Pierce did all he could to try and will a win tonight. The Captain rang up 26 points on 10 of 17 shooting to go with 6 boards and 4 assists.
- Celtics bench cut a 21-point lead down to 2 behind 14 fourth-quarter points from Jordan Crawford. T-Will added 7 points in the final quarter on 3 of 3 shooting in 11 minutes.
- Jason Terry struggled mightily on defense, missed a key FT in the final seconds and went 1 of 5 from downtown/2 of 8 from the field in 27 minutes.
- Jeff Green started off very aggressive with 7 1st quarter points, but was non-exsistant through the rest of the game, scoring only 5 through 2nd, 3rd & 4th Q’s
- Celtics defense allowed Memphis to camp out in the paint (48 points) and gave up 32 2nd Q points to the Grizzlies. Lackluster defensive effort tonight without Garnett.
The Grid: (quick stats)
- Referees once again were whistle happy-total of 52 FT’s attempted between 2 teams
- Grizzlies scored 21 points off of 15 Boston turnovers
- Boston loses in Memphis for first time since 2006