All the talk about referees is boring a whole in my brain. It WAS a story. It's not anymore. Here are 10 things just off the top of my head that are more important than the officials tonight.
- - Stopping Jameer Nelson
- - Preventing Dwight Howard from getting to the hoop
- - Rotating out on the shooters
- - Grabbing rebounds and starting breaks
- - Slowing down JJ Redick
- - Rajon Rondo dribble penetration
- - Ball movement on offense to get Ray and Paul open looks
- - Establishing KG and getting him better shots
- - Improved bench play, especially from Tony Allen
- - The health of Glen Davis/Rasheed Wallace
I only fear ONE thing from the refs… the dreaded "double technical". If I'm a Magic player, I try to roll up on Perk every chance I get to frustrate him.
A little nudge here… a little comment there… a tug of the jersey… a box out that lasts a second or two after the whistle blows.
All you need is to get Perk to lose his cool just once. The refs in the NBA today… in general… are quick with the double-technical fouls. It's a tool they have to try to keep control of things. But if Orlando is looking ahead to a Game 7, their chances would improve with Perk out of the lineup.
So just watch for that. It's the only thing I worry about. Perk… play tough, but play smart, man. You know what's up.
And if the C's do a few of those other 10 things… the refs won't matter at all.